Monday, September 17, 2007

Matchmaking: Yesterday and Today Combined

Today's world is incredibly high tech and somehow brilliant people are still finding ways to continue to raise the bar. However, I personally just learned that no matter how high tech we all become, there is still room for good old-fashioned methods. My discovery is about the art of matchmaking. Yes, you only need to log on to your internet server and type in eharmony.com or matchmaker.com and too many others to even begin to list here in this article. People takes tests, scan pictures and read dossiers of perspective dates and possibly mates. From what I understand, they pay top dollar for the ability to do so. So it's with great pleasure that I talk about this event I just participated in just a few moments ago.

I will admit, the internet started this happening and without it nothing would have taken place, but in the long run it was still two moms doing the unthinkable. It started with me, rather than do the dreaded holiday card sending this year, I wrote the age-hold year -end letter and e-mailed it off to whomever is in our contact list-one happens to be a lady who created a website for women over 40. I have my blog running on it and she has used numerous articles I've written on her front page. We have struck up a very lovely on-line friendship. Being in the inbetween stage (the one between embracing technology and hating it) we've also had several actual conversation using of all things a "landline" phone. After reading my "letter", she found out that her oldest daughter and my son went to the same university! The daughter immediately "facedbooked" my son. I called my son and told him about this "small world" coincidence. After coming home from work-he made a beeline and "facedbooked" her. Turns out they know many of the same people. For the moment she's an economics major. Those wer her mom's words not mine. My son is in the Behavorial Psychology program.

After seeing each other and leaving those e-mails they are now trying to arrange some sort of a coffee date. We suggested they can begin by chatting about how cool their moms are. Think it will fly?

Now let's be honest here, if the two of us moms had just said-"Guess what, I have a friend who's kid goes to your school, why don't you look him/her up?" We would have heard the groaning and stampeding in the opposite direction for miles. But without our mentioning the possibility, they're doing it on their own.

So, with the help of modern technology, old-fashioned matchmaking still prevails.

From here on, it's hands off. They will either meet or not. They will either like each other or maybe not. The point of this editorial is about how everyone seems to feel that technology is what its all about in the 21st century, yet with a little flexibility and some momsense, there's also room for some parts of yesterday.

Carine loves to put a twist on the usual. To read more of her work log onto: http://www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com or http://www.fabulously40.com


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carine_Nadel